Wednesday, June 04, 2014

Use It and improve It

It, being one's voice, and lots of other things of course.   As the years go by, people with Parkinson's often speak a bit softer and their voices change , making communication just that bit more difficult.  

This was the topic of the speech language therapy meeting in leafy Epsom yesterday.  However the brain sometimes has the capacity to renew itself, neuroplasticity, so with concentrated  practice and repetition new pathways may be formed which  slow the progression of potential issues.    All very hopeful for those on the downhill path.  I, thankfully, am not affected very noticeably five years down the track. 

My  new resolution is to return to practising my swallowing exercises and have brought my clock and rosary beads to time and keep track of them, out of the  cold and put them in a handy place so I don't forget.  

No comments: