Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Apathy, procrastination and a just-in-time attitude

I suppose I have always had a propensity for postponing things that seem a bit hard or require some effort, and find other things to do before tackling the initial task.  I was not surprised to read that these traits are non-motor symptons of Parkinson's, probably connected with low levels of dopamine.  

So far I have noticed this in the areas of keeping in touch with people in the way I used to - ringing up, sending a letter or card at birthdays, Christmas or from holiday jaunts.  Other Parkinson's symptons like a whispery breathy voice, small quavery handwriting, a blank facial expression all conspire to make communication harder that it used to be.  

Just the other day somebody said I looked worried, but no, I wasn't feeling worried at all, just pleasantly relaxed, while doing my exercises at the gym.  Maybe I just need to smile a bit more, exercise my facial muscles and practise  doing so in the mirror, so these things become second nature once again.  



No comments: