Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Being Prepared

A couple of years ago after we had a short sharp jolt in Auckland I prepared a getaway bag for emergency use with such things as tinned food, toothbrush, water, a week's supply of pills I take, torch, transistor radio, water and warm clothing.  When I woke round 3am yesterday and heard the wind howling outside and logged on to the internet to see what was up, I got up and put my bag and water bottles near the front door, searched for the torch, no longer in the bag, found it in the dark with the aid of the light of my iPad. 

It had a very weak battery but was OK until morning when there was dim flickering light from lamps and lights, though the fridge, microwave , heaters and other appliances weren't working.  The electric jug boiled water very very slowly and the stove elements, likewise.  

Rang Vector to log the fact and went out and about, expecting to have things remedied by the time we got home about 4.30 but no, no such luck.  Rang them again faced with the prospects of rustling up a meal and a cold night and they said they had assigned the job to a contractor.  Called our electrician at 5pm but there was nothing he could do.  A couple of hours later the house was plunged into complete darkness and this time it was harder to find the torch, and the matches to light the candle were damp and not striking. Lo and behold the contractor was across the road removing a branch from a power line.  

I took to my bed, safest place to be I decided and D told me today full power was restored at 10.15pm. Have resolved to fill up my emergency bag again with more food, a new torch and extra batteries etc.  Hopefully we won't have such an occurrence again for a while. 

Parkinson's doesn't make it easy to deal with such things. Apathy means I put off until tomorrow what I should do today eg replacing those missing items from my bag while I can remember what they are, and anxiety paralyses me when an emergency arises. Must go and do so now.

No comments: