Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Swallowing

I am in training this week and next week for increasing the size of my swallows so that I don't get my food sticking in my craw at inconvenient and unexpected times. It happens with stodgy food like white bread rolls and potato and also with hard foods like apple and pears off our pear tree. Might have to stew them and bottle them next year. But hey I will have learnt how to do big swallows all the time by then and be able to eat what I like.

Turned some apples into an apple cake yesterday to deal to the apples and some dry old Madeira cake into a delicious trifle which slipped down easily.

The speech language therapist from the hospital who deals with swallowing difficulties too turns up each day with her laptop and electrodes which are taped under my chin then the ten lots of five big swallows are graphed. I can see what it takes to take a big swallow. Normally the brain alerts you when a big swallow is required but in Parkinson's this does not happen so I have to be mindful all the time and do the right thing.

No comments: