Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Travelling with Parkinson's

I suppose careful planning is the best option. I decided to travel light- my bag weighs just 11 kgs and I just have to be strong minded and keep it that way. Adjusting the medication to the different time zones was a challenge too. Which reminds me time to take a pill now and which one is it for the day?

Had a fall in Singapore. Was tired and hot and wearing sandals and didn't see the rise in the footpath. Probably shuffling a bit so would recommend walking shoes over sandals and have had no problems since. No broken bones anyway and no aches or pains. I was very careful on the cobblestones of Prague too.

The cruise down the Elbe River was fine and I took everything in my stride. A river cruise is an easy way of having a good holiday as there are not too many people and the boats are smaller and one is less likely to become confused and not know where you are as on a large ship.

I did not seem to be the only one with a neurological condition.  One poor woman whose normally solicitous husband gave her the key to the cabin and told her it was near the purser's office got hopelessly confused and ended up as far as possible and on a different deck from it.  I helped her find her cabin and opened the door of it for her as she didn't seem to know how to.  Hopefully somebody would help me too if  I needed it in the future.  For the time being it is fine.

Fatigue and sleep disturbances are other problem areas but I found by taking the opportunity to rest when able to helped a lot and even lack of sleep didn't seem to have an adverse effect the next day . Not until we got home that is and jetlag set in.  And the problem of when to take my medication .  Oh well those wakeful spells are just the time to start dreaming and thinking of the next holiday. 



No comments: