Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Meals and More

It is 5pm and I have suddenly got very tired and hungry, so have had to rustle a quick meal together instead of making something time- consuming from scratch.  Lunch was late and I had myself a couple of delicious egg mayo, lettuce and tomato sandwiches, like ones from the deli across the road where I sometimes have lunch after the gym.  Only trouble was  I  forgot to make myself a drink, or get at least a drink of water so before long I had swallowing difficulties, a euphemism for feeling like I had swallowed a tennis ball and it had got stuck on its way down.  I started coughing as I usually do in situations like this and started feeling nauseous and that was the end of my lunchtime pleasure. 

Moral of the story always have a carafe of iced water and some nice glasses on the table .

Talking about glasses we do  have a few lovely ones.  Usually just one or two  that we have acquired from op shops.  The oldest is an etched 18th century one from Germany which was given to Dieter by one of his relatives in Leipzig.   They had it in their garden house on a ledge. We don't often use it.

Then there are the delicate pale green  Romer.  These two on the right may be crystal, they are very delicate glasses and nice for drinking wine out of in summer. The ones on the left are our everyday wine glasses and we have had them for years and years and years. 

 Nowadays my wine and alcohol consumption is minimal .  I have got out of the habit of it, but if I have to open a bottle for some wine to add to a recipe I am cooking like chicken chasseur, or beef stroganoff  then we enjoy the rest of the bottle over the folllowing days.  We use small wine tasting glasses that come from wine producing villages on the Rhein River in Germany where my mother's sister lived with her husband and family. 

For water we are using odd NZ yellowish 1960s glasses.  You got your drinks in the pub or restaurant in glasses like this.  They went well with Crown Lynn china, and still do.

Last but not least are these handpainted champagne glasses that I bought at a Christmas craft market on Waiheke a few years ago.  I like using them whenever we open a bottle of bubbles - usually either Henkel Trocken  or good old Lindauer. 

No comments: